Tech Tips
    Warranty Information

Payments

Payments

Go Back   RacingBrake Forums > Category > New Development

Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Phils2

Default Honda S2000 Brake Upgrade

HI I have been wanting to replace my OEM brake disc to two piece disc for a while now as i have turbo'd my s2000 (600 BHP) and the stock rotors are warping and not really up to the job, and well you make the OE replacement 2 piece disk, what pads would you recomend, i used the hawk street pads before but maybe due to english weather they never seemed to get hot enough however when they were they were good, so i now use ferodo ds2500, however open to any advice But the only problem is i am in the UK and i cant seem to find a place to get your rotors from any adivce would be welcomed, many thanks.
Phils2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
racingbrake

Phil,
Thanks for your inquiry. We are diligently working on a complete solution on S2000 brakes - front and rear, and will use this thread for you and other S2000 enthusiasts to be informed of the progress.

You are already aware of our two-piece rotors, which were used by Rob of S2K1 for 26 track days before they had to be replaced. Click the link to read his review:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...#entry17537524
racingbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
PJCC

Nice review. Any updates on S2000 solutions?

I would be interested in front (4 piston) and rear (2 piston) calipers that use the stock rotors. There are currently no brake kits that allow that. I don't track my car, but I do take it to HPDE's occasionally, Auto-X several times a year and drive spiritedly every time I have a chance. It won't hurt that the aluminum calipers look bad ass.

Please RB, hear my request.

Pedro
PJCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
racingbrake

Front four piston caliper kit will have big rotors than stock size.

The rear aluminum caliper kit is not possbile due to e-brake is integrated to disc brake caliper (not drum), so replacing stock caliper will also disable the function of e-brake which is not advised.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
racingbrake

Default Fitment test

We will have parts for the front and rear BBK this week.
We are looking for someone live nearby us that can lend his/her S2000 for such test.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
racingbrake

Fitment test is arranged early next week. Here are some pictures comparing +2 RB big ventilated rotor (328x17) vs. stock solid rotor (282x12)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RB Big Wt=10.5 lbs.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	51  Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock Wt.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	52  Click image for larger version

Name:	Side by side with note.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	53  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
racingbrake

Default Why S2000 needs a big brake for the rear

http://www.rx7club.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=121

Here is the comment from Howard Coleman regarding how RB rear BBK has solved RX7 brake issues especially for those who installed the big front brake kits. (Click above link to RX7 forum and read the whole story)

i just bumped into this thread.

first off, congratulations on being creative. i applaud your efforts. it would be great if it there was a boneyard solution for the FD's woefully under capacitied brake system. the chassis is a rocket ship on a road course due to it's racecar suspension but driving it at it's limit on a road course destroys the brakes in two laps. primary problem, lack of sufficient front rotor mass.
(there is nothing wrong w the OE front caliper)

stopping fast is all about brake torque capacity and longitudinal brake BALANCE.

you MUST have both.

as was posted earlier, brake balance is one of the items a winning racer is constantly adjusting during a race. you want as much rear brake in a front engine rear drive car as is possible. adjust it up until you are on the verge of spinning at corner entry.

on a street FD there isn't a need to adjust balance going to the store but you do need proper initial balance.

the FD stock brake balance, which is a good place to start, is 68% fr 32% rear.

a dynamic proportioning valve alters this a bit at higher G.

as to your project:

using your numbers (1.5 and 1.75 front pistons and a 355 rotor) your brake bias is 77% front and 23% rear. you now have a 2 wheel brake system. at max braking effort you will be just controlling the front tires at lockup and the rears will be along for the ride.

my primary point is you need to balance the rear w the front. you need to adapt the rear brakes to the FD or use something aftermarket.

RacingBrake, being the smart guys that they are, recognised this and instead of just slapping on a set of big front rotors and red calipers designed and built a larger (322 X 20) rear rotor. brake bias is 70/30 which works perfectly. the brakes are nutso good. and of course expensive compared to a boneyard alternative.

there are many ways to get it done and in my view the key to a boneyard brake solution is the rear.

let me know what the rear caliper diameter is and the piston diameter and i will give you the balance.

good luck,

howard
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
racingbrake

Here is how RB rear BBK comparing to the competition:
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...oducts_id=1157

Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
racingbrake

Here are some of the installation pictures for the +2 rear OE Caliper BBK (328x17mm ventilated rotors) and Front Aluminum Caliper BBK (328x28mm)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front BBK installed-text.jpg
Views:	4274
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	55  Click image for larger version

Name:	Front BBK with wheel-Text.jpg
Views:	6024
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	56  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear big rotor (328x17) installed-text.jpg
Views:	3911
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	57  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear big rotor with stock caliper-text.jpg
Views:	4337
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	58  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
racingbrake

Here is the picture for +1" rear two piece rotors with "Open Slot" finish which weighs only 8 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S2000 Wt=8lbs.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	59  
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
racingbrake

Default S2000 front pad

As part of our brake improvement program for S2000, we use the same backing plate, but the friction is larger with grooved center and curved bottom shall increase the thermal capacity and further improve the brake performance.

This ET improved pad is available with ET300, 500 and 800 compounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S2000 Front Pad Compare 1.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	60  Click image for larger version

Name:	S2000 Front Pad Compare 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	61  
Old 11-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
racingbrake

Default Review on S2000 forum

Here is the link to review:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...ic=820202&st=0
Old 11-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbrake View Post
Here is how RB rear BBK comparing to the competition:
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...oducts_id=1157

I gotta say, that is one seriously piss poor chart comparison to J's Racing. You didn't even bother to look at their company info up on their website. And the ? on "Proven Success" well J's racing's success blows you guys out of the water. Hell, they're even sponsors for numerous track events. It feels as if you guys have never heard of J's racing.

And not only that, but they also have a US Based headquarters that is more than capable of providing the same support and service as you.

What a very poor chart, I wouldn't be surprised if you delete this post.

Last edited by jon : 11-03-2010 at 03:16 AM.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
racingbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I gotta say, that is one seriously piss poor chart comparison to J's Racing. You didn't even bother to look at their company info up on their website. And the ? on "Proven Success" well J's racing's success blows you guys out of the water. Hell, they're even sponsors for numerous track events. It feels as if you guys have never heard of J's racing.

And not only that, but they also have a US Based headquarters that is more than capable of providing the same support and service as you.

What a very poor chart, I wouldn't be surprised if you delete this post.
Thank you for your comments. You can be assured that not only your post will be deleted nor be edited.

We would also appreciate if you can provide the data that are missing (??), such as weight, material, vane design etc. (??) on the chart, so we can have them updated, or if any correction is needed, so that the comparison chart can be more accurate and up to date.

The info on J's-Racing's kit were from the link at S2KI and I would not doubt there may be some inaccuracy but we are more than happy to improve its accuracy if you can provide the details.

On our side, every claim is true and verifiable in terms of our successful development on those OE caliper BBK. RB has established itself as a brake manufacturer in the past and leading the market by technology and innovation. We don't sponsor track events nor racers, like other company - all racers must pay to own RB brakes.

You also remarked J's-Racing can blow us out of water, we like you to know in what way; Design, technology, performance, or price?. Can you be more specific and share with us.

We welcome any comments including criticism from competitions provided they are factual. Competition is good as it ultimately benefits the consumers who will make the final judgment.

Please continue posting here and inform S2000 members with your company name, address or contact info for the after service and supports you can offer on behalf of J's-Racing.

If you like you can even promote J's Racing kits here so S2000 members can have a better idea with their brake upgrade options.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
racingbrake

Rear +1 BBK are shipping. Both +1 and +2 kits will be available for ex-stock shipment early February.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
toolfanholle

Hey, I was browsing your website and found product code HON-IRP-01.

I'm curious to hear a bit more about this kit. It looks like it uses a OEM sized brake rotor with your four piston calipers up front and your +1 kit in the rear. Does this mean you could potentially use these front calipers with stock rotors?

How does this kit affect overall brake bias, given that the rear rotor size is increased without increasing the front? I assume this has something to do with caliper piston sizes for the front.

Also, with this change in brake bias, is there a certain tire stagger that is recommended?

There is a lot of good technical information on some of your other brake kits (for other cars), but I haven't been able to find any for this kit. Any information you can provide will help.

Thanks
toolfanholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
racingbrake

Yes the rotor is same as OE in size and offset, but they are RB's two piece rotors.

We have sold quite a few of this combo kit to S2000 owners (for street and track), and the rotor size change was compensated by the front RB 4pot calipers.

Lots' of tech info for the kit. if anything specific not covered let us know and we can answer it.

You may also post your question on S2K forum and ask other members who have installed these kit and hear what they say.