Tech Tips
    Warranty Information

Payments

Payments

Go Back   RacingBrake Forums > Category > Product Reviews

Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Alexandre

Default XT 970 pads

Attached ther are some photoes of RB XT 970 pads and rotors I bought from Speedforsale.com for track use only. I could use them just ONCE on May 22, 2013 at the Hockenheim Formula 1 track (Germany) for only SIX fast laps plus two slow laps to cool the brakes. 20 miles were enough to completely disintegrate the pads and seriously damage the rotors. My question is to RB people - do the pads on the photos look like yours? There were no marks on them. If they are, I warn GT-R owners to think twice even if you get them for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5270174-1.JPG (252.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (17.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (23.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (20.0 KB, 18 views)
Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Tikamak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
Attached ther are some photoes of RB XT 970 pads and rotors I bought from Speedforsale.com for track use only. I could use them just ONCE on May 22, 2013 at the Hockenheim Formula 1 track (Germany) for only SIX fast laps plus two slow laps to cool the brakes. 20 miles were enough to completely disintegrate the pads and seriously damage the rotors. My question is to RB people - do the pads on the photos look like yours? There were no marks on them. If they are, I warn GT-R owners to think twice even if you get them for free.
From the pictures, i noticed that those were not bedded in properly, the rotors has tons of residue and the face of the pads are glaring like no other.
From what i read so far concerning these rotors and pads, the proper bedding procedure is a MUST and if it wasn't performed correctly and taken to heavy track conditions, this could happen.

Change the rotors and pads and perform the proper bedding procedure and then take them to track and come back here for another review.

I've got a friend who tracks his car 20 times a year and he's a good driver and yet the rotors are still on his car for the last 4 years.
Tikamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Alexandre

For the experts in colors and shades. The oversized rings were not correctly centered on the normal hats so the pressure on the rings from two sides was different. This explanation was offered by RB people. The issue is closed. I'am on AP J-Hooks now and very happy. Even Alcon 40 cm supersized rotors do not last more than 10 track days. 20 times 4 is 80. Is your friend driving a cart?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Tikamak

Quote:
For the experts in colors and shades. The oversized rings were not correctly centered on the normal hats so the pressure on the rings from two sides was different. This explanation was offered by RB people. The issue is closed. I'am on AP J-Hooks now and very happy. Even Alcon 40 cm supersized rotors do not last more than 10 track days. 20 times 4 is 80. Is your friend driving a cart?
If what you are saying is true then endurance 25 hours racing shouldn't exist.
You need to add EFFECTIVE brake ducts and inline coolers for your brakes.

If you're toasting 40cm alcon rotors, then it's not the rotors and a harder or bigger rotor is not your solution.

Concerning the RB rotors, if you ever take this path once again, perform a flawless install before tracking a relatively heavy car, perform the correct required bedding procedure and you're money.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
Alexandre

Come on. Trere's something wrong with your maths. I go around European F-1/GT level tracks with the german club that alternates sessions for street-legal and non street legal cars. So, I make 6 45 minute sessions per day. Some of them I don't even complete. 10 track gays multiplied by 4,5 hours is 45 hours (close to 2 25-hour endurance races). 10 days is A LOT. Some people (ex pro racing drivers) change rotors after 7-8 track days. You talked about 80 track days. Did you ever hear about 360- hour endurance races? Maybe from your friend.
I have a tuned-up car. I had the ducts changed and air guides installed. And much more. Still, I won't make more than 10 days (I change the pads like Carbotech XP12 after 4-5 days, what about your friend?)
NO MORE RBs. They may be the best, but they sold me a brake setup which was not properly tested. I hate to feel a laboratory rat. To be fair, they accepted their fault and gave me a refund (througs a reseller). By the way, talking about breaking in. The rear rotors are still RBs i put on at the same time as the front ones. They look great. I know - the rear rotors is a different story.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
Tikamak

Quote:
Come on. Trere's something wrong with your maths. I go around European F-1/GT level tracks with the german club that alternates sessions for street-legal and non street legal cars. So, I make 6 45 minute sessions per day. Some of them I don't even complete. 10 track gays multiplied by 4,5 hours is 45 hours (close to 2 25-hour endurance races). 10 days is A LOT. Some people (ex pro racing drivers) change rotors after 7-8 track days. You talked about 80 track days. Did you ever hear about 360- hour endurance races? Maybe from your friend.
I have a tuned-up car. I had the ducts changed and air guides installed. And much more. Still, I won't make more than 10 days (I change the pads like Carbotech XP12 after 4-5 days, what about your friend?)
NO MORE RBs. They may be the best, but they sold me a brake setup which was not properly tested. I hate to feel a laboratory rat. To be fair, they accepted their fault and gave me a refund (througs a reseller). By the way, talking about breaking in. The rear rotors are still RBs i put on at the same time as the front ones. They look great. I know - the rear rotors is a different story.
That's great news and good support from RB.
The track days are spaced away, maybe the re-bedding is removing the microscopic cracks and making the rotor seem to last longer. I'm not sure.

Are you heating up the rotors before starting each session ?
What is happening between each session ? are you parking the car, waiting for your next session ?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
Alexandre

I can only agree. RB's attitude was exemplary. They offered to solve the problem within days and send me the new discs but didn't object to a refund.
A warming-up and a cooling-off lap each session is a must. Between the sessions a short rest. Actually you stay in line waiting for your turn to fill up the tank.
I really think the problem comes from the exessive weight. Nissan people should think in this direction instead of trying to add 20 hp from time to time to raise the price. The car is easy to upgrade and once it is upgraded the standard consumables are not enough. Same goes for the tyres. I had to change for larger Toyo semi-sleeks because on Bridgestones and even Dunlops at 100 per cent turbo boost I can't accelerate correctly - they spin in third gear and slide all the time when they get hot and they get hot pretty fast. Opposite to GT-Rs, I really saw Porsche people carry the same consumables for years. And they are half price compared to what I pay.