Tech Tips
    Warranty Information

Payments

Payments

Go Back   RacingBrake Forums > Category > New Development

Old 01-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
zmech

Default 240SX Brake upgrade using 300ZX brake setup

Do you guys have anything worked up for the S14 series of the 240SX? Really looking for 4 piston caliper and 2 piece rotor in 13 inch for the front.
zmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
racingbrake

We don't have this upgrade in our current plan, although we always like to build big brake both front and rear at the same time to make sure the system remains in good balance.
racingbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
zmech

Difficulty there would be that this S14 front end is on a Z31. So it would be totally custom.
zmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
OptionZero

Default Rear 2-pc. Rotors for Nissan 300ZX

I'd like to suggest a 2-piece rotor for the Nissan 300ZX rear brakes.

Thanks to Nissan parts interchangeability, the 300ZX rear brakes are a popular upgrade for the 240SX chassis, as the calipers (Front and rear) are a complete bolt on.

The 300ZX was in production for 7 years; the 240SX for 9. That's quite a few chassis' and owners around. The 240sx is probably the most popular platform for the growing "drifting" sport, and now is being realized as a road course platform as well.

While searching for rear rotors, outside of the stock replacements or generic slotted/drilled rotors, there don't seem to be many upgrade options unless you go to Japan for something close to (or more than) 4 digits, and even then, the only manufacturer I know of is Endless/Project mu.

While the Z/240SX is old, research and development for this platform is stronger than ever. Just recently, someone discovered that the rear Brembo caliper for the Subaru WRX STi is a complete bolt on upgrade for the 240sx using the 300ZX rotor with only a slight difference (2mm or less) of pad thickness. Larger calipers from any Nissan Skyline GT-R also bolt up do the 240sx; 350Z front calipers require only enlarged holes on the spindle.

Currently, I myself am using 300ZX front calipers on my 1997 240sx and an adapter to use the larger 350Z rotors as well as 300ZX calipers and rotors in rear.

With summer approaching, I'll be picking up some of those very, very pretty 350Z 2-piece rotors. I think matching rotors in rear would be perfect, and I think other 240sx owners might be interested as well, because RacingBrake products are very, very competitively priced (and even better with this sale!).
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
racingbrake

Thank you for your suggestion. We were impressed with the in-depth knowledge you have on Z?s. In fact 350Z brakes was the first roll out of our affordable upgrade kits (two piece rotors with OE caliper) which has become the standard of OE caliper BBK.

With our advanced brake technology and resources we shall be able to design and build a rear brake upgrade to meet your expectation in performance and price.

We can also make a thinner pad to fit the caliper if necessary.

You may email or PM me for any additional information.

Thank you.

Warren
Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
johnc

Hi,

I am an owner of a 1995 240sx. I have upgraded the fronts with Evo rotors and STI Brembo Calipers with an adapter bracket. I will give your front Evo rotors a try once my current set are all used up. (doesn't take me that long :-) ).
As for the rear I have the mentioned 300zx rear upgrade bolted on to my car already and have also test fitted the mentioned rear sti brembo caliper and it works flawlessly and I will be swapping them shortly since they better match the front calipers. The only issue is brake pad thickness. The 300zx rotors are 18mm when new and the STI caliper is meant for 20mm rotors.
What do we need?
1: 2 piece rotors for rear 300zx to work with the 300zx 2pot calipers and e-brake of course.
2: This is for those (like me) that want to use the STI brembo calipers on rotors larger than 300zx.

What is needed is 2-piece evo rotors but with the e-brake inner diameter to match the 300zx which is 4mm larger. The offset of the evo rotor should be retained since that will allow a perfect fit not requiring an adapter bracket and we can use off the shelf evo pads.
Hope I explained it clearly.

Thanks!!

John
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
racingbrake

Stock rear rotor for 240SX is 258x9 (4x114) and 300ZX is 290 x10 (5x114).

1. The iron hat (w/drum brake) can be made to 8 lug holes like we did for 300ZX front rotor, http://www.racingbrake.com/300ZX_FRO...2-111-1518.htm to fit both hubs so technically making two-piece rotors for 300ZX stock replacement and 240SX upgrade can be done.

2. For upgrading to EVO8?s Brembo rear brake 300x22 (5x114), the drum ID is 168mm while the 300ZX/240SX is 154mm.

We have the proper resources and know-how to build these two piece rotors available, however since both development requires new iron drum tooling and we are not sure if the demand can justify our efforts and tooling investment.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
johnc

Hi,

Inner Diameter for the 300zx rear ID, the 2pot version, is wrong and the dimensions are 296X18 . I have both the evo rotors and 300zx rotors and the 300zx inner diameter is larger than the evo's. The 2pot version is the only relevant setup. the smaller ID 300zx that you are referring to is probably the 1 pot which is not an upgrade and no one will ever really buy.
I have tried fitting the evo rotor over the 300zx setup and it was just a little too small. according to 300zx manual the minimum allowed ID is 172.
What need to be kept in mind is that only the 2pot rear 300zx is relevant to either 300zx owners and 240sx owners that actually want upgraded brakes.
If I can provide any more info, let me know.
John
Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
racingbrake

Normally the service manual will specify the max. (not minimum) dia for drum, so if the max allowable dia is 172 (you can verify this in the rear rotor casting print), then the nominal dia (as new) should be 170 which is only 2mm larger than EVO rear rotor ?So for those upgrading to EVO brake all you need is the same as EVO two piece rotors with 2mm larger in drum ID.

How about for those just want to upgrade from 240SX to 300ZX rear rotors. Can you recap what?s needed.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
johnc

Thumbs up

For evo rotors:
You are correct that all that is needed is a little larger id. if it is 2mm I dont know since the evo service manual, I have an evo too, states minimum ID of 168 but that at the end of the day can be figured out easily.
For the conversion this is what is needed:
To convert to 300zx breaks, a 240sx owner buys the backing plates and e-brake assembly from a 300zx which usually come with the stock 2pot calipers and rotors. you swap the stock backing plate with the 300zx backing plate and e-brake assembly and use conversion lines. That is basically it. 2 hours and you got new and improved rear brakes. optionally buy new rotors (maybe RB 2 piece rotors?)
it has been done thousands of times before and probably being done as we speak :-)
Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
racingbrake

All 300ZX rear rotors we have offered are solid 290x10 which fits from 86-96.

Can you identify the year (JDM?) and reconfirm the dimension to be 296x18, can it be 292x16?

We checked our data base and 292x16 came up as the rear rotor for 350Z (non Brembo) which has a drum nominal ID of 172mm (very close to the oversizing required on EVO's 168mm)
Old 05-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #12
johnc

The rotor dimensions are 296 X 18. That is for sure as I bought the rotors from a US supplier to use on my own car.
these brakes were also on the twin turbo 300zx in the US and not limited to JDM. Most if not all 240sx owners get their 300zx rear brake from the junk yards from wrecked USDM 300's.
Here is a great site detailing how the swap is done. Its not as hard as it looks :-).
http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm#compare
Old 05-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #13
johnc

Hi,

will you consider the 2-piece 300zx rotor for the above dimensions?
I would like to know if ? should look forward to having them available or just stick
with my current setup.

Thank you.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
racingbrake

We will consider making one-piece rear rotor for 300ZX to complement the front we are offering:
http://www.racingbrake.com/NISSAN_300ZX_s/252.htm

Before we act on two piece rear rotors we have to see the sales potential including other interchange potentials that you mentioned.

Since it's a standard rotor we have purchased an OE sample to better assure the accuracy.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
racingbrake

We received the 300ZX rear rotor sample and found out the hat and disc OD are the same as the 350Z touring model (non-Brembo) except the thickness is 16mm vs 300ZX 18mm. The only difference between Track and Touring on 350Z is the rotor size. Track is 322x22mm while Touring is 292x16mm and we already have the Track model stock replacement (front and rear) made to two-piece.

Here is our two-piece rear rotor on Track model (with Brembo caliper):

350Z Rear rotor:
http://www.racingbrake.com/350Z_Brem...p/2040-311.htm

350Z Rear pad:
http://www.racingbrake.com/350Z_Brembo_s/1513.htm

300ZX rear rotor:

300ZX Rear pad:
http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchRes...nsive_Search=Y

Comparing the OD and brake pads:

Comparing the height:

We have the know how and technology to build the true high performance two-piece rear rotors for 300ZX as a replacement or 240SX upgrade. The racing industry has started to recognize that RacingBrake unique center mount two-piece rotor are the coolest rotors for the performance industry. As you can see from the pictures how our design allows the cooling air coming in from both inboard and outboard with a widely open air inlet.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #16
johnc

Hi, I wish you had email notification of new posts so that I would not reply this late.
The 350z 2piece rotors could be advertised to the 240sx community to be used with the 350z brembo rear caliper.
If you went ahead and made the 300zx 2-piece rear rotor, "adding" the 2mm to the 350z touring rotors, you would have:
1: clients from the 300zx community finally having a real rotor upgrade.
2: the 240sx community will also be able to use with 2 options:
a) with the 300zx 2pot calipers
b) with the sti brembo 2pots
How many rotor sets will you need to start off with, 2-piece 300zx size, to make it worth your while? advertising with the 300zx community which is also very large could also bring a lot more customers.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
racingbrake

Default Nissan 240SX brake upgrade

We have merged the thread from 240SX to this thread so that both 240SX and 300ZX may be discussed together.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #18
racingbrake

released proto type two piece rotors for rear 300ZX.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
OptionZero

Default 300ZX two piece rotors

Any more news on this? I had been in contact with someone from Racing Brake about testing these, but they have stopped returning my emails for some reason...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #20
OptionZero

Awesome, can't wait.