TimMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdd1004 View Post
one more to get 20%!!!!!
Couldn't wait. Order placed yesterday.
TimMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #43
cdd1004

order placed but how can i get group buy discount ??
seems like I paid full price .
cdd1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #44
cdd1004

my Order# is 14283

check that order for me please.
cdd1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #45
racingbrake

Default GB closing date approaching.

Tomorrow will be the last day to place an order and be eligible for this group buy discount. So far we have 9 people listed and 6 have already placed orders. This qualifies everyone for the 15% discount. In order to get the 20% discount one more person needs to sign up and four more orders need to be placed.

Front 350mm BBK, brake pads, and caliper rebuild components are ready to ship. Make sure to include your screen name in the order comments field and use coupon code GB135i to apply your discount.

Now lets see some more orders so everyone can get that 20% discount.
racingbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #46
racingbrake

Default GB officially closed

This group buy received a total of 7 orders which qualified everyone for a 15% discount. We thank all of you who participated.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #47
racingbrake

Default How about rear two piece rotors

Hello,

We were constantly asked to make rear two piece rotors following our release of front rotor upgrade (stock size or BBK), and caliper rebuilding components.

In response we have created a thread here:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showth...=4577#post4577

Our purpose is to offer comprehensive upgrade parts & components for your 135i so you don't have to spend thousands of $$$ in replacing to those expensive BBK and still can retain your stock set up and enjoy motorsports the way you like.

If you are interested in rear two piece rotors, I would encourage you sign up there and invite your friends to join the discussion.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #48
Bm135drvr

Default Need Caliper Rebuild Kit

I purchased the BBK upgrade kit, but, I found out that I need the caliper rebuild kit too. Can I still get the group buy discount on this kit?
Bm135drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
racingbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm135drvr View Post
I purchased the BBK upgrade kit, but, I found out that I need the caliper rebuild kit too. Can I still get the group buy discount on this kit?
Yes, we will extend the same GB discount for the caliper rebuilt kits to those who have purchased the front two piece rotors (BBK or stock size).

Just place the order on line and mention your prior purchase and discount will be applied upon order receipt.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #50
TimMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Couldn't wait. Order placed yesterday.
Well that was a big mistake

I purchased my ET500 pads (& RB two piece front rotors) after reading the online RB information that states;
"ET300: Performance Street - Delivers braking performance beyond stock pads, yet with minimal dust and no squeaking
ET500: Aggressive Street - Provides additional stopping power over ET300; low dust and little to no squeaking.".
It does advise that ET800s only are "Not for use on the track" & that "For track racing, use our XT-Series brake pads", but I'm not a racer and was just looking for something a little better than OEM.
So having done well over 500 track laps with my OEM pads & rotors over the past five years (I mustn't be too hard on my brakes), I was looking forward to using the ET500s, which from the info above would obviously deliver braking performance two levels beyond my stock pads. How wrong I was…

I installed & bedded in the pads & discs using the documented RB bedding in procedure & all felt good. Some weeks later after about 300 road KMs I took the car to the track with my local BMW club. About three corners into my first lap the brakes went off and I had difficulty pulling the car up. I felt the need to test the brake pedal before every corner to see if I still had some brake there and started to take it easy. After less than 10 laps I heard some horrific noises & a brake warning light came up on the dash. I pulled straight into the pits to see what the problem was. The front wheels were ab-so-lute-ly covered in brake dust and my new slotted RB discs were now scored. The slots were full of pad material or metal. I pulled off the front wheels to find three of the four pads were down to metal & beyond. There was less than a mm left on the fourth. I've NEVER seen such brake wear - nor had anyone else at the track. Not having any spare pads with me my track day was over after less than 15 minutes. Unbelievable. A day off work, track fees, new pads, discs, all wasted. After driving home nearly 80km without touching the brakes, I removed the calipers and then removed the pads from the calipers. Not only were the pads toast, most of the brake piston rubber dust seals had disintegrated and one of my titanium heat shields was so distorted it was moulded to the shape of the pistons. I took the scored discs off too & then reinstalled my OEM discs & pads which have travelled over 28,000km.

To rub salt into my wounds, Racing Brake's eventual response really annoyed me. Having tracked several stock & modified cars over many years without anything like these failures, I could only assume I'd been sent faulty pads. I tried to contact Racing Brake via email & via their website but after more than a week received no reply. I then tried again advising I'd go public with my problems if I didn't hear back from them. To this they responded straight away with, laughably, "Our statement of ET pads is an improvement over stock still hold (primarily on squeaking and dusting which are what most street drivers' complain about)". Dusting & squeaking? Seriously???? Like most enthusiasts I want better braking performance!!! The company name is Racing Brake not Less Squeak & Dust Brake. Their email finished with "If you feel your experience can benefit other drivers in avoiding the same mistake and frustrations, we have no problem for you to post this incident on forums provided all facts are fully disclosed." This I've done here. If anybody would like any further facts/clarification/photos I'm happy to provide it. I have many before & after pictures of all. I'm also happy to pass on the unedited email chain.

These pads are clearly an inferior product and dangerous even for spirited road use. I'd certainly hate to be towing a load down a mountain & have to rely on them. I'll never buy or recommend Racing Brake products again.
TimMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #51
DavidV

I went the other way.

I ordered a set of oversized disks, Stainless cups, pressure and dustrings, a set of ET500 frontpads for street use and a set of XT960 for all 4 corners pads for track use.
Had all of these installed, so my brake setup is:
Front:
oversized RB rotors,
Stainless cups,
no shims,
ET500 street
XT960 track
Dust shields modified for cooling

Rear:
BMW Performance rotors
Stainless cups,
no shims,
XT910 street (really want ET500's, RB!)
XT960 track

Motul RBF600
Stainless braking lines

The ET500's perform pretty well for day to day performance.
Their bite is comparable to the OEM brake pads, with lineair performance thrueout pedal pressure, but without the dust I had become used to over the years.
I just wish RB would make ET500 pads for the rear calipers as well so I would not have to drive around with different pad compound for the rear axle.

For track use, as I said, I ordered a full set of XT960 pads.
These performed better than OEM right out of the box, even before brake in.
I was hugely impressed.
After bedding in they were even better, biting the disks with even little pedal pressure.

On the track I was left speechless.
I never knew this car could brake that well even on PSS street tires.
Awesome. Braking with 215km/h into a 180 degree 80km/h corner was normally done with OEM pads at the 130m marker.
I didn't dare to brake later than 5m before the 100m sign, but still arrived at the corner a little under speed.
I had a great time at the track. No overheating at all, even with very hard and late braking thrueout all my sessions. The braking was always the achilles heel of this 135i, and the brake upgrade completely solved that.
Also, the padwear was not that bad at all.
Also noticed the rear wheels had a lot more dust on them than the frontwheels, so the claim the front rotors also help to keep the wheels clean holds ground

After the trackday I really fell in love with these XT960's
So much friction.
't's just the squeak that gets you in the end. Or gets my wife, as she got really annoyed with it.
If not for that, I would have never changed back to my ET500's
DavidV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
DavidV

That all being said, I do have a big problem with one of my brake upgrades.
As I said, I thought I had uneven pad deposit on the right rear during the trackday.
It made the car tremble under heavy braking, which at the track didn't bother me much.
After the trackday I had about 1500km of day to day use of the car. After a month (6 weeks total install and driving) I noticed the right rear rotor still having big spots on them, and I started to notice oil coming from the rear caliper.
After a week there was a oil spot on my driveway uder my right rear wheel, and the rim was dripping.
So I made an appointment with the shop to change the pads and have a look at the caliper.
1 day before the appointment the brake oil red warning light came on.
The next day, jus in front of the garage the dash lid up with every brakerelated warning light imanigable.
So we pulled the caliper from the car.
The outside stainless cup was leaking badly.
We took that cup out carefully.

One side was kind of worn where it is supposed to be resting against the pressure seal.
The other side however was completely scratched

One side of the pressure ring was completely worn off

The other side of the ring was still in good shape

I also noticed that the left wheel had some minor oil traces on it.
I hadn''t washed it for 2 weeks, so this is from 2 weeks.
Compared to the right wheel it is nothing, but it is leaking none the less

My theory abou this is that the cups are made with too litle tolerance and that when they became hot they started rubbing against the inner cylinder of the caliper
The scratches then wore out the pressure seal until it started leaking.

My mechanic, a (very precise) former racing mechanic instaled everything the way it is supposed to be installed. He used plenty AT grease to install the cups at the time.
I mailed Racing Brake about this but have not received a response up to today.
I assume ther is some kind of warranty for this.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
racingbrake

Your posting pictures really help us to analyze and understand what could have happened.

We are looking into this matter and will get back to you shortly.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #54
racingbrake

DavidV,

Replacement set sent on june 21st.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #55
DavidV

Yes, thank you.
I received the set yesterday.
There was a omplete new set of seals for both calipers, and a full set of new stainless steel cups.
I was also fully credited for the seal set I bought earlier.
Thank you for the good service.
I will have these items installed tomorrow.

The measurement of these cups seems almost identical to the cups I installed earlier
Can you elaborate on what the Racing Brake technitians think was the cause of the malfunction?

Old cup measurement:

New cup measurement:

There also was a smal bag of Permatex Ultra Disk Brake Lubricant in the package.
Forgot to implement that in the pic.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #56
racingbrake

These caliper components; pistons/seals/boots were made exactly the same material, tolerance, and process for different calipers/vehicles.

Please understand we only supply retrofit components, so when install the piston make sure they are absolutely straight before pushing them into the cylinders.

There are two other 135i customers reported leaking issue, but after replacing the components again, they never had complaint again. So we hope your problem will also get fixed once replaced again.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #57
dcaron9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbrake View Post
These caliper components; pistons/seals/boots were made exactly the same material, tolerance, and process for different calipers/vehicles.

Please understand we only supply retrofit components, so when install the piston make sure they are absolutely straight before pushing them into the cylinders.

There are two other 135i customers reported leaking issue, but after replacing the components again, they never had complaint again. So we hope your problem will also get fixed once replaced again.

Thanks
I was wondering if RB have solved the leaking" piston seal issue for owners that see freezing weather.

While I was on the RB web site today, contemplating ordering the BMW 135i caliper rebuild kit, to my surprise the kits are no longer available or at least, they have been "temporarily" removed from you web site.

Would have been nice to order their stainless steel vented pistons, and high temps dust boots. I track my car alot, and my pistons have started to chip and dust boots disintegrated.

What is the latest staus on re-releasing the BMW 135i caliper rebuild kit?

Thanks.
dcaron9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #58
DavidV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I was wondering if RB have solved the leaking" piston seal issue for owners that see freezing weather.

While I was on the RB web site today, contemplating ordering the BMW 135i caliper rebuild kit, to my surprise the kits are no longer available or at least, they have been "temporarily" removed from you web site.

Would have been nice to order their stainless steel vented pistons, and high temps dust boots. I track my car alot, and my pistons have started to chip and dust boots disintegrated.

What is the latest staus on re-releasing the BMW 135i caliper rebuild kit?

Thanks.
I was one of the customers with leaking brakes.
I ended up gently sanding the cups with 3000 grain polish padsafter I went through my first seal rubbers, which make the brakes leak a lot less, but still did not stop it.
So instead of tracking my car more, I didn't track it at all last year due to unreliable brakes

My seal rings totally gave up again about 6 weeks ago.
I had to resource them elsewhere (RB didn't have them), because I was going through a bottle of Motul RBF600 a week, which is not fun at all.

Because the stainless cups I got from RB were actually sort of a half fabricat, meaning they are made to spec size on a lathe, but nothing beyond that, I now bought myself a polish machine and polish finishing paste, and polished them to a very smooth and shiney finish, just like the OEM cups that came out of the calipers to begin with.
It only took 0,02mm of the diameter of the cups when fully polished, and now the brake feels like new (brake pedal returns just like it did when OEM, no more sluggish return of the pedal) and no more leaking at all.
I highly recommend this treatment to everyone who receives the Stainless cups if they are not yet shiney polished.
You will kick yourself after a week or 3 once your brakes start leaking when the tiny ribbs eat through the pressure seals...

I ordered my seal kit through Ebay from biggred.co.uk
Best of luck.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #59
dcaron9999

Default RB pistons and seals - Are quality issues resolved?

Getting ready to place my order on a set of RB pistons, but hesitating between these and Stoptech Aluminium pistons. Have RB resolved their quality assurance issues with the leaking seals and unpolished pistons?

I would rather buy the re-nouned Stoptech kit, even if the ST Aluminium pistons may conduct heat more, and get the brake fluid hotter, versus the Stainless Steel RB pistons...

Thanks.
dcaron9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #60
racingbrake

Pistons are now chrome plated which shall eliminate the potential leaking issue under freezing temperature.