No announcement yet.

Big Brake Kit for Ford F150 (99-03) 2WD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To retain emergency drum brake (228mm) there is absolutely no way to make a rotor kit fits under 15" wheels.
    Since it's too far fetched from a sound design and safety/integrity ground so we have to pass it over.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1576726442100.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	11342 Click image for larger version

Name:	1576726442100.png
Views:	22
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	11343 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_369.png
Views:	27
ID:	11340 Click image for larger version

Views:	23
ID:	11344 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_370.png
Views:	26
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	11341 Click image for larger version

Name:	1576726442100.jpg
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	11345 Click image for larger version

Views:	23
ID:	11346 Click image for larger version

ID:	11347 Here's the rear caliper brackets that have been modified to move the stock rear caliper down some. By doing this, you don't need to grind the caliper to basically nothing. I think the rotor needs to be turned down some but I'm not sure on that.

What would be nice is if you could produce the same bracket but maybe in a two piece configuration so the bracket can easily be removed. If not, then just a bracket that has the holes enlarged so a person is reusing their stock caliper.
      Last edited by NettlesD; 12-20-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Help me understand the rear brake system.

Can this not be done?
        • Stock rear rotor 13.1" turned down to 12.9" or a new rotor is cast to be 12.9" or 13.0" (emergency drum brake (184mm) is retained -- actual rotor is smaller)
        • New one piece or two piece rear caliper bracket with holes that match the modified rear caliper bracket
        • Buyer swaps all components of the e-brake drum system to new rotor
        • Buyer installs new caliper bracket
        • Buyer installs existing rear caliper to new caliper bracket
        • Buyer installs new rear rotor
        • This new rotor, new caliper bracket, existing caliper and e-brake drum all fit within a 15" wheel

Comment

Found out some more information concerning the rear caliper bracket and the rotor.
          • The holes holding the bracket to the housing are enlarged and offset some
          • The modified caliper bracket brings the caliper down closer to the axle centerline
          • The stock 13.1" (332.74) rotor is ground down 3/8" (9.525)
          • The stock rotor is now 12.725" (323.215)
          • if the rear rotor could be 12.5" (317.5) that would be the prefect size assuming the rear caliper still works as normal

Comment

Stock Rear Rotor:

This dwg illustrates the small rear disc with further trimming (323 & 317mm) to fit the 15" wheels (drum brakes retained).

The rear is already too small for a truck, further trimming and modifying calipers/brackets are not such a good idea from a safety stand point, so this is not a kit we would consider to make available.

Comment

Ok, I'm seeing what you are talking about. That drum brake is huge and not a lot of rotor is left. Have you ever designed an aftermarket e-brake system? It seems that's the way to do it if someone has to have an e-brake system.

Attached Files

Comment

Yes. We are fully aware of and have been tracking the evolution on REAR "Parking" & "Emergency" brake. The latest 92015+) deployment of EPB (normal & parking as one) is only good for parking but not intended (or suitable) for emergency., while the newest GT500 even with a separate parking brake (black one on right) but is still NOT for emergency braking (which is to be functional when the hydraulic system fails).

The soundest rear brake system is like this Lightning and Raptor (late models) equipped with a rear drum brake which can perform dual purpose - both in parking and emergency braking.

Comment

This is what a light weight rear two piece rotors should be made - Aluminum shell with iron ring insert for e-parking brake.

Comment

I like the sound of the 2-piece rotor. Is this something you can build that will allow a 15" wheel to be used? If so, you will have a lot of orders to fill once it's released. Myself included. It's exactly what people want if a 15" wheel can be used. If the rotor size can grow then I don't see why people running a wheel larger than 15" wouldn't also buy it. Sort of win-win if multiple size wheels can be used based on the kit they buy.

Comment

Not possible for a two piece rear rotor unless the the drum is deleted and the caliper is replaced with a caliper that handles regular braking and parking like the most of Ford rear brake.

Comment

Is that a kit you can build? I say build it and let them come.

Comment

We are looking into Ford rear calipers with regular braking+parking such as the one from Ford Focus RS rear that can possibly be adapted to F150 rear spindle hub with least modification.

But for sure the drum brake must be deleted, and hope the existing hand brake cable can be swapped to RS. If the existing e-brake is foot operated it would be more involved.

The rotor size can be same as Focus RS rear @300x12 which we offer 2 pc rotor upgrade for track racers.

https://www.racingbrake.com/RacingBr...-fo-p/2563.htm

Comment

I like it. A lot of Ford products used the braking/parking brake rear caliper. My 1995 Thunderbird Supercoupe has the exact same thing as the RS. I actually have a 12" rotor on the rear and most guys run a 11.75 Cobra rotor in the rear. You can buy a relocation bracket that moves the caliper higher and then you just buy a 11.75 Ford Cobra rotor and drill the required bolt circle. Everything bolts up and you have a larger rotor for the rear. As you have pointed out, no reason why the same thing can't be done for the Lightning rear.

Any news on the Front kit? I see a lot of guys buying the Wilwood kit. I would say Wilwood sells an F150 kit about every two weeks. Just yesterday someone on Facebook was asking what kits are available for the Lightning. He was looking to buy a kit for his truck.

Comment

Here's what I have on the rear of my 1995 Thunderbird. Cable operated with a pull up brake handle in the middle console. Lightning has a foot operated cable parking brake.

I hate your image verification. Most times you can't see what you need to type.

Attached Files

Comment

Better pictures and you can see where the parking brake cable would attach to the caliper.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X