BMW 135i Rear two piece rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 135i Rear two piece rotor

The following item is listed for GB purchase.

- Rear two piece rotors

20% discount for 10 or more orders, your discounted total will be $607.16 a pair (savings of $151.79)

Follow to our release of front two piece rotor and caliper rebuild kit in this thread, we were constantly requested to make the matching rear two piece available.

We have evaluated the possibility and found out although it can be done but would require to trim the stock brake pad about 5mm at the bottom to clear the mounting hardware. Same modification to the rear pad like E46 M3.

This was constrained to accommodate the rear brake drum (emergency brake) as stock.

Don't be fooled by some irresponsible companies who may falsely claim they can make light weight rear two piece rotors w/o mentioning of such a modification, if you check into it you will find out it is done at the cost of deleting the e-brake. Because those aluminum hats can't resist to the heat generated from braking or parking (in case you forgot to release the hand brake)

We can confirm that this will not impair the integrity nor safety of your car. If you think this is acceptable and can work your own pad modification, you can sign up here.

Once we have 10 people committed to order, we will then make them available.

Thank you.

Here is the official list:

1) DavidV
    2) cdd1004
    3) MLSavage
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

I am interrested in a 2 piece set with ET500 pads.
    Is there an estimate on the costs for the set?

Comment

This is the rear two piece would look like:

The cost would be around $760 per pair regulary. If we can have 10 people committed then with 20% GB discount it will be around $600 a pair, and we will also give away one axle set of wheel stud conversion kit away which worth $105 so your final cost would be ~$500 a pair.

We can also reopen the sign up for front two piece at the same time, so far those missed in first round can make up their purchase this time.

Comment

So these will not be slotted like the front disks?

Comment

The picture only shows the assembly (hat and disc), without specific disc finish. But they will be made with open slots, so that you will have the matching set.

Comment

Love to have rear rotor too!!

Comment

DavidV & cdd1004 are added to the list. Item is now up on our website. Start placing you orders and once 10 orders are in we can make these rear to piece rotors available.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece-rotor-Open-Slot-135i-REAR-2008-p/2167.htm

Comment

Will the RB hat for a 335 fit the ring for this rotor? If so this could solve my rotor fitment issue.

Comment

How do we perform the modification of the rear pads? I did a quick search and couldn't find a DIY. I will continue to look, though. I wanted to express my interest although I am only in the early stages of brake upgrade research.

Comment

Originally posted by E90Pilot View Post
                    Will the RB hat for a 335 fit the ring for this rotor? If so this could solve my rotor fitment issue.
                    Both 335i and 135i have the same drum (e-brake) dia and lug hole pattern except the offset (335i is deeper by about 10mm).

335i rear stock rotor is 336x24, and 135i disc is 322x22, so they are not the same but you can assemble 335i hat into 135i rear disc, so it will have 135i rotor size but with 335i offset.

Not sure if that answers to your question, if not let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by MLSavage View Post
                      How do we perform the modification of the rear pads? I did a quick search and couldn't find a DIY. I will continue to look, though. I wanted to express my interest although I am only in the early stages of brake upgrade research.
                      We trim the pad by using water jet, for DIY such as grinding it might be too much to remove. You can find a local water jet or machine shop for this modification.

Comment

Ok.

Is this proposed 2-piece rotor larger than the stock rear rotor? If they are the same size, would making the rotor slightly larger to accomodate the stock pad without modification be an option for you guys?
                        That would seem like the best of both worlds, larger rotor, still saves weight over OEM, requires no pad modification.
                        Clearly you could have already thought of this and the cost of modifying the pads is less than the cost of modifying the rotor diameter. Although starting from scratch it shouldn't be that bad. The information I don't have is how you manufacture the rotors and machines you have available.

Comment

Due to the rear caliper is a side mount, unlike front caliper which is a top mount, so making adapter for a larger rotor kit gets more involved than keep the set up in stock size w/o changing the caliper.

Make a larger rotor as you suggested is not a problem at all, but the caliper must also be relocated (moved up) to match up the rotor size which is the real challenge.

The other factor is the sales volume, we must keep our tooling and development cost down for such a low volume production. So overall this stock size two piece is still the least involved and most cost effective way to upgrade your 135i rotor with performance improvement you can expect.

Comment

Also please understand that no production release until we have received a minimum of 10 orders (20 rotors).

So if you are interested, please sign up and inform other members of this development.

Comment

Originally posted by racingbrake View Post
                              Both 335i and 135i have the same drum (e-brake) dia and lug hole pattern except the offset (335i is deeper by about 10mm).

335i rear stock rotor is 336x24, and 135i disc is 322x22, so they are not the same but you can assemble 335i hat into 135i rear disc, so it will have 135i rotor size but with 335i offset.

Not sure if that answers to your question, if not let us know.
                              That's actually great news. However I thought the 135 was actually deeper. The 335 and 328/325 have almost the same offset. Since you already have an application for the 335 but not the 328, I think it might just be the only way to get a rotor to fit the caliper on my car. It does present another problem. I'm guessing the hub diameter is larger so the e-brake may not fit. I need to see if I can use an e-brake from the 335.

Comment

Working...
                              X